In partnership with the Hawai‘i Forest Industry Association (HFIA), the Hawai‘i Forest Institute (HFI) launched the MAHALO ‘ĀINA: Give Back to the Forest Initiative in 2014. To date, we have raised $280,584 in donations and pledges. The goal of MAHALO ‘ĀINA is to expand our community partnerships and gain support for the protection and perpetuation of Hawaii’s forest ecosystems.
Funds raised through MAHALO ‘ĀINA are helping to support:
- Propagation, outplanting, and long-term care of plantings;
- Site management and maintenance;
- Cultural and environmental education programs; and
- Coordination and promotional activities.
MAHALO ‘ĀINA is not just a tree planting program, in addition to planting trees, it is helping to support total ecosystem management and providing forest stewardship opportunities and educational programs at project sites throughout the state. MAHALO ‘ĀINA is supporting the following projects:
- Ka‘ūpūlehu Dryland Forest, Hawai‘i Island
- La‘i‘Ōpua Dryland Habitat Preserve, Hawai‘i Island
- Pana‘ewa Zoo Discovery Forest, Hawai‘i Island
- Hawai‘i Papahana Lāʻau Kalikimaka, Locally-grown potted Christmas Trees, Hawai‘i Island
- Háloa Áina Restoration Project, Hawai‘i Island
- Go Native: Growing a Native Hawaiian Urban Forest, Statewide
- Symphony of the Hawai‘i Forest, Statewide
- Honolulu Zoo Children’s Discovery Forest, O‘ahu
- Hawaii’s WoodshowTM, Na Lā‘au o Hawai‘i, O‘ahu
- Hawaii’s Woodshow is the Innovation + Imagination (I+I) Student Challenge, Oahu
- Hawaii Wood Guild, Hawai‘i Island
- Keauhou Bird Conservation Center Discovery Forest, Hawai‘i Island
- Akupu Restoration Project, O‘ahu
- Maui Bird Conservation Center Discovery Forest, Maui (in exploration phase)
MAHALO ‘ĀINA MESSAGE
We, the Hawai‘i Forest Institute and our sister organization the Hawai‘i Forest Industry Association give deep appreciation and thanks to our ‘āina. We understand that we are dependent upon the land and its forests; the land is not dependent on us. We are humbled, awed and inspired in the presence of one of the lands’ great expressions — its forests. We mahalo the ‘āina and we invite you to mahalo with us by Giving Back to the Forest.
MAHALO ‘ĀINA VISION
Our vision for MAHALO ‘ĀINA is to help ensure a thriving future for the Hawai‘i Forest Institute’s forest restoration and education programs to benefit the ‘āina and people of Hawai‘i.
He ali‘i ka ‘āina: He kauwa ke kanaka
The land is chief: Man its servant
HFI is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt, nonprofit organization, therefore the full amount of your donation is tax deductible to the extent permitted by law (Tax ID # 90-0108457).